There are so many different ways to cast on knitting. I have my own favorite. It's the way I learned when I first started knitting. My way is called TWO NEEDLE CAST ON. I like this 2 needle method because you don't have to guess how much you need to measure out a length of yarn at the beginning. I also think it makes a tighter and straighter edge.
Here's how I do it.
Step 1 Make a loop over the needle & tie it.
This will be your first stitch.
Step 2 Hold the needle in your LEFT hand, pointing to the RIGHT.
Step 3 Place your left thumb on top of the needle.
And your left index finger below the needle. (Your thumb should be closer to you and the index finger away from you.) Hold the dangling yarn taut over your right index finger and below your right ring fingers.
Step 4 With your right hand, guide the right needle.
Guide the right needle up through the loop on the left needle.
Step 5 With your right hand put the yarn over the right needle.
Pull that needle downward while pulling the yarn with it under. Pull it forward, and twist it up onto left needle. You should now have 2 stitches on left needle.
Step 6 Continue casting on.
Continue casting on until you have 20 stitches on your needle, or more if you want to keep going for practice.
Step 7 Watch the video for a visual aid!
- Leave a long strand at the beginning end that you can use later to sew up the two sides of a sweater.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades